Official UMUB Calendar:

Email Management:

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

WHICH COLLEGE IS RIGHT FOR ME?

As you start your journey and complete applications for college, you should have some options.   Having choices is good at this stage of the game.  Dream big, but then make decisions realistically, considering a series of facts based on your particular needs, interests, and finances.

Of course, many students want to go off and see the country by traveling out of state, but unless there are significant financial incentives, you may have additional difficulty paying for your education.  Having a checklist and making sound judgements will help you to make a wise selection.



Consider these factors:

  • What is the best learning environment for me?
    • Does the size of the college matter?
    • Does the location (urban, rural, in state, out of state) matter?
    • What type of college (public, private, gender specific, religious) fits my interests and financial situation?
  • Do I need one-to-one interaction with my professor, or am I disciplined/driven enough to work and learn on my own?
  • Can I handle a fast-paced learning environment?
  • Does the college or university offer my major?
  • Will I be able to travel to and from college without financially burdening my parents?
  • What is the college data regarding graduation? 
  • What is the graduation rate?
  • What is the graduate school admission rate?
  • Does the college have a career placement office?
  • Are there support systems in place to assist me in graduating from college, such as TRIO Student Support Services?
If you are eligible for merit-based scholarships (ACT and GPA), you will need to complete your admission to that particular college no later than November 15th (to meet the December 1st deadline).  Outside scholarships (such as Smith, Dell, and Linly Heflin) will also ask about where you have been accepted, so you should apply to several before these deadlines.


No comments:

Post a Comment